IN Memory of Phillip Hughes











© Getty ImagesView image on TwitterRavi Shastri, Virat Kohli and Glenn McGrath. Indian cricketers Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Murali Vijay alongwith Ravi Shastri, coach Duncan Fletcher and media manager RN Baba.     From left: Ravi Shastri, Murali Vijay, Mitchell Johnson and Pat Cummins.Phil Hughes' final journey.Phil Hughes' coffin was carried by his father Greg, brother Jason, cricketers Aaron Finch and Tom Cooper.Phil Hughes' father Greg carrying the coffin. Sean Abbottt 2Sean Abbottt 2Jason Hughes: “I write this letter to explain to you how much you meant to me. This is the most important letter that I will ever write in my life. I could not have asked for a better little brother, who was a rockstar. You had a homegrown technique. All I wanted was to have you looking up to me as an elder brother. I still can’t believe I am here to bid you the final goodbye.”

“When you were 16 you ran somewhere because you wanted to get a break. There are many stories that I wanted to share but some of the them are not appropriate.”
Indian captain Virat Kohli at the funeral © Getty Images
“From a very young age you were destined to be a rockstar. All I wanted was you to look at me as your big brother. You taught me so much, gave me a strong desire to succeed. You always had to win and keep batting for days. I am glad I played a major part in your achievement. You told me to move to Syndey when I turned 21. I was on the first flight to be a part of the journey,” says Jason Hughes.
“I promise to get back on the horse and play the game we both loved. You always had the looks, you always had the hair. I couldn’t have asked for a better little brother,” Jason Hughes adds.
Phillip Hughes’ cousin Nino Ramunno has been invited by the family to deliver the eulogy.
“Phillip idolised his mother, he was a mumma’s boy.”
“He was good at ironing, he was very conscious of looking good and he always left home with clothes ironed well and neat and clean. Phillip was always a country boy at heart but loved what the city could offer him,” says Ramunno.


Mitchell Johnson at the funeral © Getty Images
“Phillip was born in Macksville hospital on November 30, 1988. To proud parents Virginia and Greg Hughes and brother Jason. He was a large baby and when our Italian grandfather, Vince, laid eyes on Phillip for the first time, his first words uttered to aunty Virginia and uncle Greg was “Bafoon”.
“Which roughly translated into English means “Large”. Hence this was the first nickname that Phillip received, ultimately this ended up being shortened to Buff which many of us called him for the years ahead.”
View image on TwitterPhillip Hughes' father Greg at the funeral © Getty Images
Father Alcock adds, “For all of us here, Phillip Hughes’s extended family, immediate family and friends. We give the God thanks for the blessings of this young man. To those both near and far whom his life has touched. And we pray this afternoon that today we will feel some consolation as we celebrate his life.”
Phil Hughes' coffin being carried by pallbearers © Getty Images
Phil Hughes’ coffin being carried by pallbearers © Getty Images
James Henderson, Hughes’ manager says, “Wish the Lord will give the righteous.”
View image on TwitterView image on TwitterPhillip HughesView image on TwitterGeneral view of cricket bats on the streets of Macksville


Previous
Next Post »

thankyou ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon